Colonel Lance Burnett is the Vice Commander, 81st Training Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, MS. The 81st Training Wing provides technical training for officers, enlisted and civilians of the U.S. Air Force, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserves, as well as other Department of Defense agencies. Keesler's technical training includes numerous electronic, computer, weather, medical, personnel, comptroller and information management career fields, creating the combat capability for air expeditionary and space forces.
Colonel Burnett is from Cameron, Texas and is a 1994 graduate of Texas A&M University. He is a Master Navigator and has served as an instructor and evaluator in three major commands, as well as staff positions at the Combatant Command, Theater Special Operations Command, Headquarters Air Force and Major Command levels.
Prior to his current assignment, he was the Deputy Command Center Director at North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and U.S. Northern Command (USNORTHCOM).
Colonel Burnett is married to the former Andrea Wadsworth of San Antonio, TX. They have two children, Peyton and Andrew.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Kinesiology, Texas A&M University
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
2007 Air Command & Staff College by correspondence
2009 Master of Arts in Military Studies, American Military University
2010 Air Force Legislative Fellowship Program (IDE), Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
2013 Air War College by correspondence
2016 Master of Arts in Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
1. December 1996 – July 1997, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Pensacola, FL
2. August 1997 – March 1998, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, TX
3. June 1998 – October 1998, C-130E Initial and Mission Qualification, Little Rock AFB, AR
4. October 1998 – May 2001, C-130H Mission Navigator and Squadron Tactician, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
5. May 2001 – April 2002, Instructor Navigator and Chief of Awards, Decorations and Performance Reports, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
6. April 2002 – October 2003, Evaluator Navigator, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
7. October 2003 – April 2004, Student, MC-130H Initial Qualification, Kirtland AFB, NM
8. April 2004 – August 2006, Flight Commander and Instructor Navigator, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, FL
9. August 2006 – March 2007, Flight Commander and Evaluator Navigator, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, FL
10. March 2007 – June 2008, Group Executive Officer and Evaluator Navigator, 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, FL
11. June 2008 – July 2009, Chief, MC-130E/H Branch, Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, FL
12. July 2009 – December 2010, Air Force Legislative Fellow (IDE), Washington D.C.
13. January 2011 – June 2011, Chief, Congressional Branch, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Plans and Requirements, The Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. June 2011 – June 2012, Chief, SOF/Rescue and Washington D.C. Assignments, Air Force Colonel Management Office, The Pentagon, Washington D.C.
15. June 2012 – January 2014, Operations Officer, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Air Education and Training Command, Kirtland AFB, NM
16. January 2014 – June 2015, Commander, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Air Education and Training Command, Kirtland AFB, NM
17. June 2015 – June 2016, Student, Senior Developmental Education, Air War College, Air Education and Training Command, Maxwell AFB, AL
18. June 2016 – July 2017, Strategy and Plans Officer, U.S. Special Operations Command, Africa, Stuttgart, Germany
19. July 2017 – July 2018, Deputy Director, North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and US Northern Command (NORTHCOM) Current Operations Center, Peterson AFB, CO
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: 3,291
Aircraft Flown: C-130E/H, MC-130H, HC-130P
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with six Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
2006 General P.K. Carlton Award for Valor
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant August 1996
First Lieutenant August 1998
Captain August 2000
Major August 2006
Lieutenant Colonel November 2011
Colonel January 2018
(Current as of July 2018)