Col. Laura A. King is the Commander, 81st Training Group, Keesler Air Force Base (AFB), Miss. She commands the United States Air Force's second largest technical training group consisting of more than 4,000 officer, enlisted, and civilian personnel from all five Department of Defense services and international militaries. She leads 1,300 instructors and staff who deliver courses to over 2,500 non-prior service Airmen and 500 temporary duty students daily, ultimately producing 29,000 course graduates annually.
Col. King enlisted in the United States Air Force in December 1987 as an administrative specialist and in 1991 retrained into the paralegal career field. She served her last enlisted assignment as a paralegal instructor at the Air Force Judge Advocate School before graduating from Officer Training School in April 2000. As a career personnel officer, she has worked at the unit, group, wing, DoD agency, combatant command and Headquarters Air Force levels. Col. King's deployments include commanding an expeditionary force support squadron in support of Operation INHERENT RESOLVE and deployments supporting Operation ENDURING FREEDOM including command of a detachment providing combat skills training.
1990 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Lajes Field, Azores
1994 Associates Degree, Paralegal Studies, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
1996 Associates Degree, Instructor of Technology, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1997 Bachelors of Science, Criminal Justice, Auburn University Montgomery, Montgomery, Ala.
2000 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Masters of Science, Public Administration, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
2014 Masters of Arts, Military Operational Art, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
2020 Air Force Fellowship RAND Corporation, Air War College, Santa Monica, Calif.
1. December 1987-April 2000, Enlisted Administrative Specialist and Paralegal Instructor
2. April 2000-July 2002, Squadron Section Commander, 89th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Andrews Air Force Base (AFB), Md.
3. July 2002-October 2002, Squadron Section Commander, 18th Operations Support Squadron, Kadena Air Base (AB), Japan
4. October 2002-April 2004, Wing Executive Officer, 18th Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
5. April 2004-April 2006, Personnel Flight Commander, 460th Mission Support Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
6. April 2006-September 2007, Flight Commander, 4th Manpower Requirements Squadron, Denver, Colo.
7. September 2007-September 2009, J1, Director Personnel, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Darmstadt, Germany
8. September 2009-July 2011, Chief, Doctrine & CONOPS, HQ Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. July 2011-May 2012, Deputy Chief, A1 Issues Team, HQ Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. May 2012-July 2013, Executive Officer to Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2013-June 2014, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2014-June 2015, Commander, 386th Expeditionary Force Support Squadron, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait
13. July 2015-July 2017, Deputy Chief, Personnel Division, CCJ1, US Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
14. July 2017-July 2019, Commander, 633d Force Support Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. July 2019-June 2020, Air Force Fellow, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
16. July 2020-June 2022, Director, Talent Management Innovation Cell, HQ Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2022-Current, Commander, 81st Training Group, Keesler AFB, Miss.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster Meritorious Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Officer Training School, Maxwell Air
2001 Airlift/Tanker Association Young Leadership Award, 89th Airlift Wing
2001 89th Aircraft Generation Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year
2005 480th Mission Support Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year
2005 Lance P. Sijan Award Junior Officer, 480th Space Wing
2006 4th Manpower Requirements Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year
2008 Threat Reduction Agency Company Grade Officer of the Year, Operations Directorate
2011 Directorate of Plans and Integration, Headquarters Air Force, Field Grade Officer of the Year
2015 Lance P. Sijan Award Senior Officer, Air Education and Training Command
2016 AF/A1 FGO Staff Personnel Officer of the Year, Air Force District of Washington 2017 Joint Forces Staff College, Dean of Academic Affairs Writing Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 7, 2000
First Lieutenant April 7, 2002
Captain April 7, 2004
Major November 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel January 1, 2015
Colonel December 1, 2020
(Current as of June 2022)