HomeNewsFeaturesDisplay

What’s in a name: Shaw House

Shaw House is located along Larcher Blvd, Building 3821. The Shaw House was named after Capt. William Shaw who joined the Army Air Corps in 1940 and passed away during a mission at the Solomon Islands in Guadalcanal in 1943. Today, Shaw House is used as a lodging facility with 128 rooms for retirees, Airmen and their families to live in. (U.S. Air Force photo by 2nd Lt. David Bui)

Shaw House is located along Larcher Blvd, Building 3821. The Shaw House was named after Capt. William Shaw who joined the Army Air Corps in 1940 and passed away during a mission at the Solomon Islands in Guadalcanal in 1943. Today, Shaw House is used as a lodging facility with 128 rooms for retirees, Airmen and their families to live in. (U.S. Air Force photo by 2nd Lt. David Bui)

KEESLER AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. --

Shaw House

 

William S. Shaw, Captain, USAF, 1920-1943

 

Capt. William S. Shaw was born on April 19, 1920 in Moorhead, Mississippi. He attended Mississippi Delta Junior College and joined the Army Air Corps on September 9, 1940 as a pilot. Shaw graduated from pilot school on April 25, 1941 at Brooks Field in San Antonio, Texas.

While serving in the military, Shaw flew missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He served in both the 67th Fighter Squadron and 339th Fighter Squadron. He earned the Distinguished Service Cross, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with two service stars and the Purple Heart.

On Jan. 27, 1943, Shaw lost his life during a mission at the Solomon Islands in Guadalcanal. Shaw was praised for his extraordinary heroism in service to his country.

Shaw House is used today as a housing facility as part of the Keesler Inns. It provides 55,000 square feet of floor space with 128 rooms for retirees, Airmen and their families to live in.