Published April 29, 2015
Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher House
The Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher House at Keesler provides a comfortable home-away-from-home for families of seriously ill patients at the Keesler Medical Center and the Biloxi/Gulfport Veterans Health Administration Hospitals. The criteria for occupancy is that the guest be either a member of the "support team" of the patient hospitalized at these facilities or a patient in an outpatient status.
Built in 1992 at no cost to the government, the 5,000 square foot, two-story Keesler Fisher House is the sixth of 59 Fisher Houses donated to those in need of lodging by the late Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher of New York. The intent was, and still is, to provide home-like accommodations. Operating costs are underwritten by nominal guest fees and by contributions to the non-profit Fisher House of Keesler, Inc., a Mississippi 501(C)3 tax-exempt corporation. Our hope is that with enough donations, we can reduce or eliminate guest fees altogether in the future.
For room information:
Contact the manager at 228-377-8264 (DSN: 597) or toll-free 1-800-732-2984, ext. 8264.
After duty hours, call 228-806-5878.
Fisher House of Mississippi
509 Fisher Street
Keesler Air Force Base, MS 39534
Fisher House Q&A
1. What is the Fisher House? The Fisher House is a compassionate-care facility, located on Keesler AFB within walking distance of the hospital. The house provides a comfortable place to stay, serving patients and families from all branches of the military and veterans receiving active treatment at the Keesler Hospital and the Biloxi Veterans Administration Medical Campus. The house provides a safe and comfortable home-away-from-home for families in need.
2. Who is eligible to stay at the houses? Patients and /or families of patients from all branches of the military receiving active treatment at the Keesler Hospital. Guests must live outside a 50-mile radius of the hospital. Availability of rooms is provided on a space- available basis. You may request to have one non-medical attendee (over the age of 18) accompany you during your stay. Priority is given to families of OIF/OEF, families of critically-ill patients and oncology. Patients and guests must be able to care for themselves as the staff does not provide any medical care, assistance or transportation.
3. When can I stay at Fisher House?
a. Actively receiving medical treatment at Keesler or Biloxi VA hospital.
b. Lives outside a 50- mile radius of the hospital.
c. Able to care for themselves independently.
d. Able to exit the building independently in an emergency.
e. Must be able to provide their own transportation to and from the hospital and other required locations. Transportation is not provided by the Fisher House or base.
f. Not a threat to themselves or others.
g. Not involved in a domestic violence situation that may pose a threat to others in the house.
h. Guest must be free of communicable diseases to include, chicken pox, shingles, measles, mumps, colds, flu etc.
4. Who do I contact? You may contact the house manager at (228) 377-8264. Office hours are 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday. Any calls/messages after 4 p.m. will be returned during the next business day. The office is closed on all federal holidays and weekends. If someone is admitted to the Keesler Hospital Intensive Care Unit, please contact the Fisher House manager at (228) 806-5878 for information.
5. How do I make a reservation? Due to limited availability, please contact us with the dates of your treatment as soon as possible. You will be placed on a waiting list and notified as soon as a room becomes available. Room requests are taken Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. We are closed on all federal holidays and weekends. If you reach voice mail please leave a message and your call will be returned during duty hours. Phone number (228) 377-8264. Please remember we are on Central Standard Time. There is no charge for guest stays.
6. Are volunteer opportunities available? If you are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities, you may contact the House Manager at (228) 377-8264 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Alcohol, illegal drugs, firearms and pets are not permitted in the house. Smoking is not permitted in the house or within a 50-foot radius of the house. Please use designated smoking areas. Violation of this rule will result in eviction.
2. For the safety and security of all our guests, please keep the doors locked after normal business hours on weekends and holidays.
3. Per public health regulations, guests are not to accept any food items or food donations at any time. Please refer them to the management.
4. The staff does not provide any medical care or assistance; no medical treatment will be permitted in the Fisher House.
5. No open flames or candles.
6. Rooms must be occupied on a daily basis unless other arrangements have been made in advance with the house manager. If away from the room for more than two nights, guests must completely check out of the room.
7. Check-out time is 11 a.m. unless otherwise arranged.
8. Guests will be responsible for the conduct of their children. They will be supervised at all times and will not be left unattended. Children must show proper respect and behavior towards other residents, staff and property.
9. The house is a communal living facility. Respect others’ property and remember to secure your own room. We are not responsible for lost or stolen property.
10. You are required to clean up after yourself when you use common areas or common items.
11. Residents are expected to dress appropriately in common areas. Shirt and footwear and required.
12. All guests must be able to evacuate the house independently in case of fire or any other emergency.
13. Persons with an infectious disease often require special precautions. Please notify the staff if you have an illness requiring special arrangements.
14. Only guests listed on the registration form may reside in the house. Any changes must be coordinated with Fisher House management.
15. Quiet hours are from 10 p.m.-7 a.m. daily. Non-resident guests will not be permitted in the Fisher House during quiet hours.
16. I understand that it is a privilege, not a right, to stay in the Fisher Houses and is contingent upon my agreement to abide by the Fisher House rules and guidelines.