What's in a name: McClelland Hall
By 2nd Lt. Toney Doan, 81st Training Wing Public Affairs
/ Published July 13, 2017
KEESLER AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. --
Harold M. McClelland, Major General, USAF, 1893-1965
Maj. Gen. Harold M. McClelland was born in Iowa in 1893, and joined the Army Air Service in 1917. He was considered the pioneer in Air Force communications systems development. In the mid-1920s, McClelland studied engineering at Columbia University, and went on to become a communications officer supporting mail-carrying flights in 1934. He also was a weather officer for long-distance exploration flights which were led by Gen. Henry H. ‘Hap’ Arnold.
Under Arnold’s leadership, McClelland planned and organized Army Airways Communications Service in 1938, and commanded it from 1946-1948. AACS was responsible for U.S. military air communications and traffic control operations around the world during World War II. He also served in various Air Staff positions during the war. After that assignment he became deputy commander of the newly-formed Military Air Transport Service, which is today’s Air Mobility Command.
After retiring from active duty in August 1951, he became the Directory of Communications-Electronics for the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, and then later became Director of Communications for the CIA until he passed away from a heart attack in November 1965.
McClelland’s awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, and is a Commander, Order of the British Empire.
McClelland Hall is currently undergoing renovation and will be take approximately one year for completion. It will be another schoolhouse for the 333rd Training Squadron, and is located on the corner of Hangar Rd. and E St., Bldg. 2818.